Monday, November 07, 2011

Five Monthes Today

It was 5 months ago today that we received the diagnosis of ALL.  Jethenro had spent the night in the hospital getting blood and platelet transfusions.  A sample of his blood had been sent off overnight to MD Anderson to verify which type of Leukemia he had.  I was ignorant up to this point. I didn't know there was more than one kind! Of course the rest of my medically inclined family understood...but I didn't.

The time on the clock that Doc E stepped into the hospital room to give us the news is forever etched in my mind.  He pulled my husband out of the room and spoke with him privately at first. They were out of the room for quite some time when i stepped out to see what was going on. I found Donald sitting in a chair with phone in hand, tears in his eyes making arrangements to get off work. I don't recall seeing the doc again, but i know he was there making arrangements to air flight my son to a larger hospital. There was no question which parent was going along on this flight though it surprised the flight personnel. Usually the mothers attend their children, but Donald was not about to leave his sons side.

Everything happened so fast that day that there was no time to research our options, to learn what alternative/complimentary medicine might be available. It would not have made much difference~there is no alternative to chemo for this type of leukemia. We have been installing complimentary methods as much as possible, and thanking God for friends like you who intercede in prayer on our behalf. 

We continue to ask for your prayers as we continue this journey with Jethenro. His spirits have been good most of the time, and we are told that the worst phases of treatment are past even though i hear from others who have been, or are going through it, that the next phase is difficult also.  Nevertheless  he has applied to get back into school, and he will be able to register for classes soon.

2 comments:

  1. Still praying for all of you. Wow--five months. Sounds like such a short time, but I know feels like a lifetime of time. How life can change and you never do look at things the same way again. I felt the same way when Austin was born premature and was in intensive care. The few times I made it to a grocery store I couldn't believe how regular life was still going on for other people. We are praying. I lift you up to God in a special way today. May he draw near to you, comfort you, and carry you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I praise the Lord He is doing so well. God will see you guys through. Many prayers.

    ReplyDelete